The Union Chapel Association was formally established on August 31, 1889 at a meeting of community residents held in the parlors of the Hallett House, a large hotel that formerly stood opposite the Hyannis Port Post Office. The purpose of the organization, as stated in its constitution, was “to erect and maintain a chapel … for the public worship of God and for moral and religious instruction.”
Exactly one year later, on Sunday, August 31, 1890, a service was held at 3 P.M. marking the dedication of the Union Chapel Building and the first anniversary of the Association. The chapel, originally clad in dark red shingles, was built on land donated by the Scudder family of St. Louis. Today, the chapel is housed in its second building, the first having been destroyed in the hurricane of 1944. Rebuilt a year later, the chapel stood without a steeple until 1964 when additional funds were raised for the Association’s 75th anniversary and a modified Wren steeple, complete with bell tower and a new entranceway, was added.
Sunday morning services are held at 9:00 A.M. during July and August with a final service on the Sunday of Labor Day weekend. Services are non-denominational. Song Service, a special tradition of the Union Chapel, is held on Sunday evenings at 5:30 when announced.